Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Another day of thanks...

I was just sitting here reading over some of the previous posts of my blog. I was able to relive some of the events, think about all of the trips we have recently been taking and just ponder on some of the experiences that the last three or four months have brought. I realized that I had not done one of my thankful posts in a very long time. Especially in reviewing all of this, I can see how much I have to be thankful for!

1. My Mom - I know how close we came to losing her, I am more grateful now more than ever for her. I read over the posts of her surgery and then see her at our family Christmas gathering. Oh, how thankful I am that she is in those pictures! She and MacKenzie could be twins separated by two generations. She has taught me so much over my life. There were many things that I really didn't understand while I was growing up - things or events that occurred. As I think back now, especially as a mother myself, I know why decisions were made the way they were. I am glad that I can pick up the phone and know that I will hear her voice on the other line! I love my mom! I know that I don't tell her nearly enough how much I really love her.

2. Goals - Right now it is New Year's the first month of 2009. I know many people are setting new goals for the new year. Setting goals, revisiting goals, and resetting goals and changing them is something Josh and I do all year long. I am glad that we don't wait until the beginning of the year to do this. I know that individually, as a couple and as a family we are able to grow all year long because we do this. I am in no way trying to knock down others who do not do it this way - I am just simply stating that for me and my family, I am grateful that we do things a little differently!!

3. Friends - I love my friends. When I don't live close to family I rely on my friends more. There are many people here in Tucson that I can say are truly friends and not just acquaintances. I am glad that we have taken the time to build these relationships. It is because of this that we can call each other and ask for help; share joys, losses, fun times and bad times. Even friends that have moved away keep in touch. We are all more like sisters some times. I know that the friends I have are blessings to me!

4. Family Home Evening (FHE) - my kids are at an age that for the most part our weekly FHE are so enjoyable. They love to participate with great enthusiasm. They love looking at the board to see who is assigned to which task. I love to sit back and watch them as they learn and grow. I see the light of Christ in their eyes. I see their desire to want to do good and be better. I know that my children know they are a Child of God and I am thankful that they know that simple truth.

5. Nap time - I wish that I could take those naps along side him, but for now I love Brendon's nap time. He is a very energetic boy. Some days he is a great challenge to me. He needs to be entertained right now. I work hard not to let my busyness get in the way of the time that I have with him. When he is down for a nap (especially on preschool days when there are no other kids here), it is quiet. I am able to focus a little more and work my tail off to get everything I can done - knowing that once he is awake, that time frame is gone.

6. Trips - It is something to look forward to. We have a family goal right now to go to Disney World this year. Our original reason and way we were going to go has changed (remember we revisit and reset goals) - but it is still something we are working towards. We have discussed the goals and what needs to happen with our children. I love that they do things on their own, without being asked and then come excitedly tell me all that they did to be a team player in our family. I love that in their prays they pray for our family to meet our goals so they can go to Disney World - they pray over the small things (something I will always remember from my Grandma Chapman)! They are such good kids. It gives them something to look forward to and work towards as well. I loved the CA trip we just took in November. I am excited that we can take an even bigger and better trip. I know that there are many, many more to come for our family.

7. Christmas Time - I know that this time is over for this season. It is still my favorite time of the year. That is probably why I have refused to take down our Christmas decorations. I will do it this weekend while Josh is gone on a business trip. Still, I look around and just enjoy what it means, what we are celebrating, the feelings it stirs within me, and the excitement it brings to the world. I can hardly wait until Christmas in 2009.

8. Music. This is one that I had back in one of my very original post in Sept or Oct. I just wanted to list it again because it truly does move me. I love the beat or the soothing feeling. I love to listen and ponder the words. When I am down it picks me up. When I am excited and energetic it makes me more excited and even more energetic. It causes my soul to rejoice and and be uplifted. Of course, it doesn't hurt when it is a song that I can get up an boogie to - ok, that shows my age a little, that I can get up and dance to!!

9. Laughter - Laughter just does something to lighten the mood, bring a smile to faces, and a warm thought to my heart. I love to hear my children laughing. Sometimes I know it is because they are up to no good, but for the most part it is because they are enjoying themselves in whatever activity they are doing. At the moment, the laughter it is entertaining Brendon at the table. I can hear them from the other room laughing and giggling. I love to hear this, knowing that they are building bonds that will last them a life time.

10. Love & Life - I see how fragile life can be, how quickly things change in life, how quickly people give and/or take offense, how problems seem to be so monumental that they just can't be gotten passed. I personally struggle to see that negative side in my own life. Does that mean that struggles and trials don't come my way - no, not at all. I just choose to see positive, I see growth, I see warmth, I see LOVE which to me brings life. I see love in everything. For exmaple, marriages. Love brings a marriage, or any relationship for that matter, to life. Love helps a seed grow and brings nature to life, for us to enjoy. Love gives us hope. Love helps us see past others' faults. Love gives us Charity. Love abounds all around us. We must choose to see it and strive to give it away. Love is not a one way street. We can't not give it away and expect it from everyone else in return - in fact it is quite opposite. I look to our Savior, Jesus Christ, as an example of this. He received love from so few, but gave so much away, to everyone. He was the master servant, the giver of life. He is my example of Love! My mother-in-law is someone who in modern days I would say is one of my best examples of giving away love with no expectations in return. I know that many people have felt the Savior's love because she has true Charity. People know she loves them; they don't have to question or worry about being judged. In my personal experiences I have found that the law of reciprocity works here, with love, more than everywhere else. The more you give away, the more you get back. I wonder how it works. I can't figure that out. I love people. I work hard in my life to see past faults or not see them at all. I hope that others have that same courtesy for me. But, regardless, those things don't affect who I am or where I am going in life. I know that I am a Child of God. I know that Heavenly Father loves me. And because of that, I have life and I want to give His love to others. I hope that someday I can be someone like my parents and Josh's parents where people think of me and know that I love them no matter what! I am thankful for the love I feel around me, from Josh - the best husband in the whole world, my children, my parents, Josh's parents, our siblings, friends, and many others - this list is endless. I know that I am loved and I feel so blessed! I hope and pray that others feel loved the way I do!

1 comment:

Mindy Dean said...

so sweet to read your thoughts. You are loved in many ways!